1 Tbsp shea butter
1/4 cup aloe vera gel
3/4 tsp guar gum or xanthan gum
3/4 cup soap base (I used Dr. Bronner’s Castille, unscented)
Approx 25 drops essential oils (See my Best Essential Oils Series) I used a mixture of citrus oils (orange, lemon and lime).
1. Melt shea butter over low heat.
2. Add aloe vera gel and warm together with the shea butter.
3. Add gum and stir well with a whisk.
4. Add the soap base. Mix well. I found I had to mix with my immersion blender or in a blender to get the gum completely distributed. It’s not completely necessary, but makes for a more consistent wash. After blending, your wash will be quite foamy but it will settle in a few hours.
4. After the mixture has cooled, add essential oils (if using).
5. Pour into container of choice. A funnel comes in handy here. (I used a super eco-friendly recycled body wash container.)