What’s Your Birth Story, Mom?

Jessica & Jenavecia

The first time we met.

I was so anxious for her to arrive that I went to the hospital twice thinking I was in labor once a week before my due date and then again 2 days after- since I was already there, I asked if I could go ahead and be induced but, of course not. My due date was December 16, 2011. I had been 1 centimeter dialated and 50% effaced for 2 weeks prior to my due date which made me think she was almost here. Little did I know, that I would be wating another week and a day past my due date to see her.

Before inducing labor.

On Friday December 23rd, 2011 at 5 o’clock a.m., I was set to call L&D to see if there were any available beds for me to be induced. My fear was that I would have to wait even longer. I let out a sigh of relief when the nurse told me to come on in at 8:30 a.m. 3 more hours wasn’t too bad. I had already taken my shower so, I ate and made sure everything was packed (which it was because I had packed everything almost a month prior). It came time to leave so, we dropped our pup off at my parents’ house to play while we would be away and then headed to registration.

Me, Bill, and my mother sat in the waiting room for a good 30 minutes. We were then joined by my uncle todd who made the wait shorter with his jokes. When the check-in lady called me she called out for “the pregnant lady” to come to her station because the guy at the desk forgot to get my name. After being registered, I was wheeled up to the room and passed my cousin Leticia getting off her shift, I believe it was L&D #2. I had two nurses because one was trainng to work in L&D. The nurse named Jo called me sweet little pet names a lot when I was in there.

After all the poking and prodding, they were instructed to administer my pitocin around 9 a.m. I was still 1 cm but, about 70% effaced at the start. The pain wasn’t too bad at first, just a little uncomfortable. Only an hour or so into it, I asked for the drugs but, we saved the good stuff for later. I had contractions for a few hours and they checked me every hour with no progression. Granny Vonn visited around this time.

So, around noon my contractions were strong enough that Dr. Johnson wanted to put the balloon in there to open my cervix. After about 4 hours, I had dialated to 5 cm and still 70% effaced. She did not want to break my water yet because Jena’s head was not pressing on my cervix and she did not want her umbilical cord to come before her or get tangled.

In hopes that Jena would drop lower, I decided to go ahead with the epidural around 5 p.m.The anethesiologist was great and it went smoothly. Around this time, Jimmy, Ted, Kay, and then Bill’s mother Hope and Deanna visted us. Around 7 p.m. Dr. Johnson checked me again and found that she had dropped a little so, she decided to go ahead and break my water. It was the weirdest feeling ever.Leticia had visited again before her next shift.

Every hour I was being checked and nothing had changed except the severity of the contractions, they were full force and I should have progressed. At 11 p.m. the Dr. asked me if I would like to go ahead and have a c-section or wait an hour to see if I progress. At this time, Jena’s heart rate dropped for the first time and only time. She gave me a few minutes to decide.

I decided that I could wait no longer. After making this decision, I felt a lot of pain caused by the fear of the surgery. I think my epidural had worn off and I felt the full blow of contractions as I was being prepared to go to OR and as I was being wheeled there, I felt like I was going to die.

As I was placed in the hallway of the OR, I felt worse. At this time, Bill had to go outside to get some fresh air and let the door shut behind him so he was locked out and had to run all the way around the building and find his way back. As he was getting scrubbed out, it was time for me to go into the OR. As soon as I entered that room, I told them I was nervous and then composed myself and the pain lessened so I could get my spinal tap. They let me get up and sit on that small table. As I my epidural was being removed and being replaced with a spinal tap, the staff attached arm rests to the side of the table. I felt like I was about to be crucified as I layed down.

Apparently, they were pinching me really hard and asking me if I felt it and I didn’t so went ahead with the surgery. It was weird because I couldn’t feel or move my legs. They strapped my arms down just incase I felt the urge to move them, they also put massaging things on my legs for circulation. Bill came in and sat by my head, when he entered they had already started so, he saw stuff. He didn’t pass out! That’s an accomplishment for him because he is sissy about blood and needles. I didn’t feel them cut me open. The only thing I felt was them pushing on me and pulling Jena out.

Apparently, Jena still did not want to come out of there. Bill said the nurse was pushing all of her weight down on my chest as the Dr. was oulling her out. I could hear her little wails before they had even taken her out. I knew she wasn’t out yet because I heard them talking about how big she was and how she was being stubborn. At 12:42 a.m. on Christmas Eve she was born. They had finally got her out and I could hear her cries, which weren’t very loud at all.


The nurses wiped her off, weighed her, wrapped her up, put a tobbogin on her, and brought her to Bill and I. We both kissed her and they took her off to finish her stuff. Bill had to leave before they put me back together and sewed me up and he looked again and I won;t describe what he saw but, he still didn’t pass out. I was taken off the table and put on a bed.
This was now my time to rest. I was taken to a post-op room and was the only one in there. Here I would be monitored until I could move my toes again. This only took about an hour or so. They changed my gown and stuff. Then I was wheeled to my room where they broght Jena to me a few minutes later.

The first time that I had attempted to feed her, she latched on immediatley.After eating, she was taken to get her first bath. Bill was good about holding her and getting her when it was time to eat. She only left our room to check-in for shift changes and tests. She stayed with us a lot because she was breastfeeding and I didn’t want her to go. As soon as it was time to get her, I had Bill go get her when the nurse would allow it. Only one or two times did they force me to let her stay in the nursery so I could rest; the percocet and motrin helped a lot.

After a whole day, it was time to get out of bed and walk around. A lot of family and friend came to hold Jena. From my side it was of course my parents, Granny Vonn, Papa, Aunt Geaorgia and Diane, Uncle Mike and Aunt Christa, Leticia, Aunt Paula and the boys, and Uncle Danny. From Bill’s side it was his Mom, Aunt Tracee, Aunt Dana, Kay, Kellee, Deanna, and Ted. But, Bill’s brother, Jimmy, was the first. Of our friends, Karleen visited first and called my mom a baby hog and the came back later with her boyfriend Matt. Chris, Kevin, Amber, and Sarah also visited. an old friend from high school, Chelsea, took Jena’s blood from her foot.
By Monday December 26th, I was ready to leave. We had missed Christmas but, we didn’t mind. We had our own Christmas at the hospital and a special present, Jenavecia Yvonne Johnson.

Leave a Reply